I'm quite amazed by the variety of chiffon cake flavours created today. We can bake just about any flavour. Besides the traditional pandan & chocolate, there are now pumpkin, yam, oreo, lychee, etc, etc. Then there is sweet corn.... When I saw Sonia made sweet corn chiffon cake, I knew I would definitely make it!
This is my second time baking this cake. I love it so much! It's so soft & moist & besides, I love sweet corn. However, the first time I tasted it, I thought the sweet corn flavour was not intense enough. My friend who ate it asked me what flavour it was. So this time, I added a teaspoon of sweet corn flavour & some canned whole kernel corn. If you like chiffon cake & sweet corn, then you must try this! Thanks for sharing Sonia!
Source: Nasi Lemak Lover.
4 egg yolks
50g corn oil
85g self- raising flour
75g sweet corn cream
1 tsp corn flavour - I added
4 egg whites
30g canned whole kernel corn (Drained & patted dry with paper towel.) - I added.
- Hand whisk egg yolk and sugar till sugar dissolved.
- Add in corn oil and sweet corn cream, mix well.
- Add in flour and combine well, set aside.
- Beat egg white over high speed till foamy ( 1min for KA mixer at speed 8). - I beat for 30 seconds at speed 3 using my Kenwood Major.
- Slowly add in sugar, beat till soft peak form (2-3mins for KA mixer at speed 6). - I beat for 1 1/2 minute at speed 3.
- Take 1/3 portion of egg white mixture and use hand whisk to mix with egg yolk mixture till light.
- Fold the balance of egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture, combine well.
- Pour cake mixture into a 20cm (7 inch) chiffon cake baking pan (I used an 18 cm & 16cm pan. I poured half the mixture, then sprinkled some whole kernel corn. Then I poured the rest of the mixture & sprinkled the rest of whole kernel corn on top.)
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 160 deg C for 40minutes. Adjust your oven accordingly as every oven is different.
- Once cooked, remove from oven & immediately invert pan until completely cool. To remove cake, run a spatula or knive around the side & bottom of pan.