Tuesday 12 November 2013

Lapis Limau Purut

I baked Lapis Limau Purut for Hari Raya Haji about a month ago. I did not plan to bake any lapis cake at first, but since I was baking for a friend three Lapis Lengit Betawi, I thought I might as well bake one lapis for my family because, whenever I bake lapis cake, I like to bake two simultaneously. I decided on one that used kaffir lime rind as it's been a long time since I last baked it. I've also not shared the recipe in this blog. This is a classic lapis cake... it's very moist, rich & delicious with a subtle kaffir lime flavour. I like! 


Some notes:

  1. Since no emulsifier (like ovelette) is  used in this recipe, ensure that the bowl & whisk used for beating the eggs are clean & completely dry & the egg white is completely separated from the yolk. Otherwise, the meringue will not develop well. 
  2. Refer to my Lapis Strawberry Ice Cream for other tips on baking & storing lapis cake.


Lapis Limau Purut (Kaffir Lime Lapis Cake)
Recipe by Wannah Alshatrie.

Ingredients:
400g butter
4 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
20 egg yolk (use large eggs)
5 egg white
250 castor sugar
*100g cake flour
*25g cornflour
*1 tsp baking powder
(* sifted together)
1 tbsp kaffir lime rind (I used rind from 1 kaffir lime.)
a few drops of green colouring

Method:
  1. Preheat oven at 180 deg C. Use top heat only.
  2. Line & grease the base of a 10x7 or 8x8-inch baking pan. Set aside.
  3. Combine butter & condensed milk & cream until white & creamy. Set aside.
  4. If using a big cake mixer, combine eggs & sugar in a clean & dry mixing bowl & beat until thick & fluffy. If using a hand-held whisk, beat egg white in a dry & clean mixing bowl until soft peak. Then add sugar gradually & beat until stiff peak. Then add egg yolk one at a time. Continue mixing until mixture becomes thick & fluffy.
  5. Add butter & mix thoroughly. (I used a hand whisk.)
  6. Fold in flour & baking powder. Add in kaffir lime rind & colouring & mix gently but thoroughly.
  7. Pour 2 ladles of batter (I weighed 80g for each layer.)  into the pan. Grill for about 2 minutes till cook & top turns golden brown. (You may need to adjust the temperature of your oven such that the layer will be cooked in about 2 minutes). Remove baking pan from oven. Press the top of cake gently with a lapis presser (or flat glass) to pop up any bubbles to produce a neat lapis.
  8. Repeat step 7 until finish.
  9. After baking the last layer,  bake the whole cake using top & bottom heat at 200 deg C for about 10 minutes.
  10. Remove cake from pan and allow to cool on a cooling wire rack before cutting & serving.

6 comments:

PH said...

Faeez, I am admiring your lapis cake and wish I could have a slice! I like this cake but the thought of baking layer by layer makes me scared.Any suggestion what to do with the 15 egg whites since we use 20 yolks and only 5 whites?

Jozelyn Ng said...

Your lapis is so neat and beautiful!

Sophie said...

Hm, wie lecker...
und so viele Eier, lieber Himmel :-)

Das ist sehr viel Arbeit.
Hier bei uns gibt es auch so einen Schichtkuchen, den nennt man in Deutschland: Baumkuchen.
Mit Bisquit-Teig und Schokolade.

Liebe Grüße von Sophie

Faeez said...

Phong Hong, I know... the thought of baking it can be daunting. Actually, there are many things u can do with the egg whites, omellete, meringue cookies, macarons or u can try Fly African Cake. I've shared the cake recipe before. Egg white is also great for soup.

Faeez said...

Jozelyn, thank you. Are u game to bake it..?

Faeez said...

Sophie, yes, this cake is very time consuming. Preparing & baking it takes about 2 hours... Yes, Baumkuchen is also sold here in Singapore. There's a Japanese company that not only sells but also shows how it is baked using a spit oven, it's amazing! Lapis cake that we have in this region is usually very rich because it uses many egg yolk, just like the one I made. The Baumkuchen that I ate before is lighter, closer to a sponge cake.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...